2007/11/03

Time for a review: Nooma

Thank you to people who have left comments here: it's a little scary to find I have a blog with readers. So, here goes with more of a proper review.

My introduction to this kind of thinking was the Nooma videos, featuring Rob Bell. I'm still not sure about whether he would describe himself - and his church - as part of the emerging church phenomenon or not, but that doesn't matter here. Nooma is a series of short films, styling itself "the new format". Presented on DVD, most are about 10 minutes of Rob speaking to camera, in a variety of settings, with music and film cut in.

I think it's fair to say that the Noomas have very high production values. In fact, I'm not sure I have ever come across Christian media of higher quality. It's stylish and up-to-date. And very non-cringeworthy. There's so much I encounter in the Christian community which I wouldn't dream of sharing with those outside. But Nooma is an exception.

The topics of the talks are varied. They are some very Christian themes, by and large. The first one, for example, is about God's love for us, and his longing for us to live in relationship with him. It's the sort of stuff which can be thought-provoking for Christians, but by no means inaccessible to those who aren't so sure. It's certainly not a classical presentation of "the gospel", nor, in any sense, some kind of apologetics. But for a less head-on discussion (something I'm inclined to think is very timely), here are some really good thoughts to kick around.

Despite some criticisms for his rhetorical style (leading some to dismiss him as a denier of the truth), my own impression of Bell is of someone who loves and teaches the historical Christian message - in a relevant and current way. He draws on the bible, on his life experience, and many other sources. He's clearly studied Jewish thinking at some length, and draws on rabbinical insights to discuss how Jesus' first hearers would have understood his teaching.

Each Nooma comes with a booklet - again exquisite and stylish - with quotes from the videos, and many open-ended questions. We've used a few of the Noomas in our home study group. Even the ones which seemed to have quite a straightforward conventional message have been followed by good, long-lasting open discussion which seems to push the boundaries rather well, facilitated by the booklet questions.

You might have formed the impression that I'm quite taken with these things. What are the drawbacks? Well, they retail for $10 in the USA and £10 in the UK (that's $20 !). $10 seems fine, but I take exception to the latter for a 12 minute DVD. The booklet presentation doesn't lend itself to giving each group participant a copy, which is a shame. And the whole thing is a bit, er, American: the vocabulary doesn't bother me, but in just about every one we've watched as a group, there's been something I've had to explain to those less-travelled. And I still don't really know what a kickball is.

2 comments:

Sassy Shae said...

I love the NOOMA videos! You are right, they aren't cheesy at all. They are honest and trendy. I can't imagine paying that much for them, though.

If you were serious about the kickball, here's your answer:

A kickball is a rubber ball about the size of a soccer ball... sorry, you would say football. They are usually red, but sometimes yellow or blue. It's a type of ball that's used in various games, and because it's softer than a football it's used for dodgeball. It also bounces really high on asphalt or concrete... or off the wall.

It's also used in a game where the kickball is bowled toward homeplate and kicked. It combines baseball, dodgeball and bits of other games... I'm sure rules vary since kids made it up.

I played kickball when I was a kid every day at recess at school. I was the permanent pitcher/bowler for both teams (which means I could make no plays on the ball), since I was the one who came closest to getting the ball across homeplate.

And now you know more than you probably ever wanted to know about a kickball. ha ha

Andrew said...

Shae, thanks. I know I'm slow responding. I'm late in everything, it seems. I'll share the news about kickballs with my fellowship group. I don't think we have such things here. Well, I'm sure balls come in every kind of hardness and bounciness from cricket balls to basket balls, foam balls, and volleyballs. But I don't think we have a special distinguished class of ball that matches your kickball.