2008/01/03

Time for a review: "Everything must change"



Brian McLaren
Everything Must Change


I didn't enjoy this book. I wanted to. As with A Generous Orthodoxy, the central message struck a chord with me. But as the old review says, "this book is both new and original. Sadly, the good parts are not original, and the original parts are not good." And it's waaaay to long.

I can't quite decide whom McLaren is addressing with this book. The message that "Everything Must Change" is broadly targetted upon a kind of Evangelicalism which emphasises belief over action, structure over relationship, power over brotherhood, and so on. But although I guess
there must be churches out there which are "like that", I have to say that I've never encountered one. McLaren writes as if he is addressing the whole world, but the message seems to be written truly for a particular introspective, carricature of a right-wing American bible-belt capitalist christian whose main interest in the gospel is some kind of pie-in-the-sky-when-you die. Do those people exist? I don't know. Not being in that millieu, it's hard to tell.

Take, for example, the oft-invoked idea of the Kingdom, preached by Jesus. Almost everyone I've ever heard speak on the subject has emphasised the transforming nature of the gospel for the here and now; how Christians are to be "bringing in the kingdom" in their lives, and
actions, attitudes, and relationships. But McLaren writes as if this is a brand-new idea. One chapter sets up a contrast between a "Conventional View" of Jesus, and an "Emerging View": but I don't think I know anyone who entirely holds the former viewpoint. The book
seems replete with straw men and false dichotomies.

But McLaren is a pastor and teacher; he's good at expounding scripture. I would say that much of what he says about Jesus and the gospel would be uncontroversial in my part of the world -- or at least, familiar, even if tending to perspectives some would dismiss as "liberal". He's a good story-teller, too, and many of his best points are made by the tales he tells. Much of the book, though, deals with philosophy, politics and economics. And I fear it does all of these quite badly. And he goes overboard with the the whole postmodern thing, with endless references to "framing stories". I think we got the message.

To help the reader use the book in a discussion context, each chapter ends with questions for the group. After reading these for the first few chapters, wanting to retain my lunch, I avoided them thereafter. I'd advise other readers to do the same.

I seem to be writing rather negatively about this book. It's not that I'm on the side of the conservative Evangalicals who would want to dismiss McLaren as a heretic (he might be, but my mind's not made up; and perhaps we need more heretics anyway). It's not that I don't
accept that the radical message of Jesus has to be interpreted for our generation, and to question the foundational assumptions (or framing stories, if you prefer) of our society, our community, our church. It's just that I don't think the book was written for people like me,
and I wish it had used about half as many words.



[Aside: I know lots of people blogged through their reading of this book when it came out a few months ago. I avoided reading them. Now I will go back and revisit others' perspectives. A second blog post may be in order as a result.]

4 comments:

Nate Myers said...

Oh, those people do exist, Andrew...they're what drives the "Christian" agenda in America because they're so prominent.

They range from Dr. James Dobson to John Piper to Tim LaHaye to Norman Geisler...the most prominent names in "American Christianity" are the types Brian is addressing

Andrew said...

Thanks Nate. I've moved in many church circles, but my experience of those people is very limited.

Are they really that black and white? Entirely focussed on the hereafter, with nothing to say about the life we live now, beyond a certain legalism and some kind of target-based evangelism? I guess that's what you're saying. In that case, "Go Brian!", good luck to you ... just don't imagine this is the outlook of the majority of the church militant.

Linda said...

Andrew,
I enjoyed reading your review. As Nate said, this is a fairly accurate picture of american evangelicalism. My frustration is that if this is the target audience, I don't believe Brian presented his case in a way they will hear or listen to. Honestly, I think he has some legitimate points that should be heard, but they get lost in his personal philosophies.

Andrew said...

Grace, fair enough. But conversely, I wonder whether, if they were being honest, lots of really quite conservative evangelicals wouldn't find a lot to agree with here ... but they are unlikely to say so, because they will be too busy railing against some of the more challenging passages.