2008/05/24

Ouch!

Peter Rollins' writing is always thought-provoking. I don't understand it all, but I find it by turns confusing, exciting, provocative, thrilling, and many other things beside.

His post this week (Treating church as a fetish) certainly fits those categories. Sometimes, I feel quite at one with those he describes in the first paragraph (though I would hesitate to describe my fellowship as "dogmatic"), but far from all the time. The post is, however, quite close to the mark. Not that I fully understand the last part of it. The ensuing comments make for an interesting discussion, as does his promise that more thoughts on the same subject are yet to come.

I appreciate most of his sentiments, and yet, I wonder. Is it really a given that we are eventually happiest when we throw off the social charades? The pursuit of truth is downright important, but some ways of doing so cause more pain than others. For me, evolutionary change usually beats revolutionary change.

No comments: