2008/07/29

Things I have learned

I've been in the USA for over two weeks. It's my longest ever visit. Watching Fox news has become something of a morbid fascination. Here are some things I have learned:
  • The real problem with universal healthcare is that the 46m people who don't have medical cover right now will want it. And that means they will want doctors. And there aren't enough to go around. So the whole idea is a non-starter.
  • Obama's international tour was foreshadowing his would-be role as Commander-in-Chief. Not as top diplomat, or representative of all branches of government. No; as guy-with-the-nukes. Gee, that's really encouraging.
  • Americans have to tell their doctors which drugs they want. At least, that's what I surmise from the adverts explaining how wonderful the therapies are. In my country, the doctor tells you what she/he thinks would be good for you.
  • Fox news is fair and balanced. Say it every five minutes, like a mantra, you might start to believe it.
  • $4 for a gallon of (albeit ludicrously low-octane) fuel is a lot of money. [Ha! What a joke. No; I don't believe that one.]
  • If you are poor enough to qualify for Medicare, you can still get pressured into buying a top-up card to cover all the things that Medicare doesn't. It could save you thousands of dollars, apparently.
I'm sure there are more gems, but eventually it all just washes over you.

No comments: