2008/02/22

Blogging the emerging

I was pointed to a new blog today (how many can there be?!). C. Michael Patton has been giving an analysis of things evangelical, emerging, and emergent. There's much to think about there - an an awful lot of comments (no, I'm not yet liberated enough to describe them as a ___-load of comments, not in writing, anyway).

The last part (linked above) struck me as the most interesting: it identifies five aspects of emerging:
  1. Emerging Ecclesiologically
  2. Emerging Sociologically
  3. Emerging Theologically
  4. Emerging Epistemologically
  5. Emerging Politically
Clearly, they rather overlap (some of his theological examples sound epistemological to me), but this is a good start. Moreover, it gives us a five-dimensional space in which to place ourselves. It is, then, little wonder that the earlier blog posts struggle with a 1- or 2-dimensional representation.

Where do I place myself? Well, do you have a five-dimensional piece of paper? What's the five-dimensional version of a quadrant? Put me in the upper-right one of those, but not too far into it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link Andrew. Good thoughts too.

For a random aside... I think there was some sort of five dimensional chess game in Star Trek (They watch that in the UK?), maybe the creators could lend that to us so we could figure this whole thing out.