2008/03/30

Blogging is/not for everyone

[Apologies to Peter Rollins for the style of the title]

So, having been blogging on here for quite a while, I've finally come clean to lots of my real-life friends in the last few weeks about the existence of these pages. That's a little scary. Let me explain why.

In my professional life, I read almost no blogs. That's not because of a lack of stuff to read: working in networked software systems, there are probably more blogs in my field than any other. But most of them are a bit, well, ... poor. [Of course, there are exceptions :-)]. So, most just aren't really worth reading.

Now, here I am, trying to contribute to an emerging conversation which is by turns theological, philosophical, occasionally even missional. I can imagine professional philosophers and theologians rolling their eyes at this stuff, and wondering at the naivety of it all. And so I can imagine my friends doing the same. [Now, thanks to being slightly naughty, and signing up for Google Analytics, I have a reasonable idea how many readers this blog has, and I see how many comments my posts attract, so I'm under no illusions about my place in the conversation.]

But I rather enjoy doing this, anyway. And because I'm inclined to think that theology is for everyone, not just the professionals, I'm not sure if I should care about whether my ramblings are ham-theology/philosophy or not.

In the meantime, despite not being a highly creative person, I'm staggered at how many different meanings I can read into the title of this post...

No comments: