2008/10/20

cigars

Well, here's a thing. Jake Bouma points to a post by a Jared Wilson entitled "20 ways to smoke cigars to the glory of God". I confess that I didn't find the 20 ways as thought-provoking as the preamble: the post begins with a quote from no lesser person than C.H. Spurgeon describing his joy in smoking cigars. You might argue that he was doing that before the full extent of the health problems associated with smoking became apparent. But that would be primarily a health argument, not a theological one, wouldn't it?

Anyhow, I thought it an interesting fresh challenge to presuppositions. We assume so much about "normal" Christian behaviour; so much that is actually determined by culture and today's values, not necessarily by timeless Kingdom values. We assume at our peril. It ain't necessarily so.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Some might argue that the health issue and theological issue are one in the same. Referencing to all those people who cite "your body is a temple!" on issues ranging from sex to junk food to...smoking.

Who's to know, really, if they'd be correct or not? I have a Bible and it's plain to see that the heading before 1 Corinthians 6:12 says "Flee sexual immorality." It annoys me when people use that passage for other meanings, but then, I suppose they could be right in doing so.

Anyway, how DO you glory God by smoking cigars? By smoking slowly, by admiring the craft? By praising the tobacco farmer?
All those reasons on the article sound ridiculous to me, minus the "don't inhale" one, which can be done, although most people buy cigars to SMOKE them.
Anyway, by that article's logic, a crack addict can glory God by taking pleasure in the art of their crack pipe. Acid droppers can hold on to that liquid sunshine until the last moment, thereby prolonging their ever-so-spiritual drug use, I suppose.
And if you're going to read a Bible until you're smoking a stub, why not just read?

For my part, I love food, maybe a little too much, if you catch my drift. I smell it, look at it, eat it slowly...again...and again...and again. But who in their right mind would say that I'm praising God while doing so? Sure, I'm thankful for what I have to eat, but I'm certainly abusing the privilege of having food. I think that if God cares at all, He'd might be a bit more pleased if I spent a little less time dwelling on my food and a little more time dwelling on Him.

I think my response is actually longer than your post...sorry about that.

Andrew said...

Wow. Thanks for the (lengthy) comment!

I didn't want to diss the 20 reasons, but they rather left me cold, too.

Sometimes we do jump to judgement about what is right and wrong. Maybe if crack were legal, there would be no problem smoking that, too...