2008/10/30

Aping the culture

For ages, it's been a concern of many that Christians have a habit of trying to ape popular culture, rather than making their own. (I remember well the despair of a friend who saw a car-sticker in the style of an Oakley ad, saying "Jesus: Thermonuclear Protection", but I digress; I don't think their ads say that any more.).

So it's with some surprise that now the militant atheist fundamentalists are doing their best to emulate the behaviour of believers. Not content with their "I'm right and I won't listen to anyone who disagrees" line - the mark of a good fundamentalist, it seems to me - they are moving on to copy other things. Last week the big news was those unimaginative and hesitant atheist adverts (or were they agnostic) on the sides of London buses. And now, I've become aware of Nine Lessons and Carols for Godless People. I'm obviously a little late on that, because the tickets are sold out, and have been for a while, it seems, even with a ticket price of £20. (I've nothing against the event: it sounds rather good. And contemplating the wonders of the Universe would be good for us all).

I am rather left wondering what we'll see next. If you were an atheist fundamentalist, what elements of Christian sub-cluture would you choose to rip-off?

No comments: