2009/09/07

violence

What does God think of violence?

I ask, because I am to speak on the early chapters of Judges next Sunday. And, of course, it's bloody stuff - from Ehud the left-handed Benjamite and his short sword which buried itself in Eglon's folds of fat, to Jael and the tent-peg she drove through Sisera's temple, pinning him to the ground. Along the way, we hear of Shamgar (he had an ox-goad, remember? what is an ox-goad?) - who killed six hundred Philistines.

How would we greet news of a latter-day Shamgar who had killed six hundred Taliban?

Only a few months ago, I had to speak on the one who said
But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also.

What, then, is the consistent exegesis? I recall that Rob Bell has said some useful things about this, but I haven't managed to find a transcript yet. Woe is me.

No comments: